Mariinsky II Opening International Press Coverage, April 26 – May 23, 2013
An extensive collection of articles covering the opening of Mariinsky II. Due to the large amount of articles, we have created a widget for browsing the articles online. You may also download a PDF containing all of the articles from within the widget.
View the articles here
MARIINSKY THEATRE ANNOUNCES INAUGURAL PROGRAMMING FOR OPENING OF NEW MARIINSKY II OPERA HOUSE IN ST. PETERSBURG, RUSSIA, MAY 2 – 4, 2013
THREE DAYS OF CELEBRATORY EVENTS WITH PERFORMANCES BY THE WORLD-RENOWNED MARIINSKY OPERA, BALLET, ORCHESTRA, CHORUS, SOLOISTS AND YOUTH ENSEMBLES
Opening Night Gala concert will feature Ildar Abdrazakov, Yuri Bashmet, Olga Borodina, Plácido Domingo, Ekaterina Gubanova, Leonidas Kavakos, Yekaterina Kondaurova, Ulyana Lopatkina, Alexei Markov, Denis Matsuev, Anna Netrebko, Yevgeny Nikitin, René Pape, Mikhail Petrenko, Ekaterina Semenchuk, Sergei Semishkur, Vladimir Shklyarov, Diana Vishneva, Mariinsky Academy of Young Singers, Children’s Chorus and Orchestra of the Mariinsky Theatre, and Vaganova Ballet Academy
Highlights of Opening Events include Tchaikovsky’s Iolanta featuring Anna Netrebko; Balanchine’s Jewels featuring Ekaterina Kondaurova, Vladimir Shklyarov, Uliana Lopatkina and Danila Korsuntsev; Verdi’s Nabucco featuring Plácido Domingo and Maria Guleghina; and a performance honoring Prima Ballerina Diana Vishneva
Coverage Highlights February 5 – 19, 2013
- Mariinsky’s Firebrand (New York Times)
- Plain Mariinsky II Building Hides Dazzling Interior (St. Petersburg Times)
- Design of Mariinsky Theater 2 causes uproar in Petersburg (Russia Beyond the Headlines)
- St. Petersburg’s New Mariinsky Theater Gets Mixed Reviews (Radio Free Europe)
- Music Review: Valery Gergiev conducts all-star cast in Wagner’s ‘Die Walkuere’ (Washington Post)
- Wagner se léve à l’Est (Diapason)
- Review: Die Walküre (Opera Britannia)
- CD Review: Richard Wagner – Die Walküre (Voix des Arts)
Coverage Highlights January 4 – February 4, 2012
- Mariinsky II opens in St Petersburg (Glass Magazine)
- New Mariinsky Theatre by Diamond and Schmitt Architects (ArchScene)
- Gergiev présente le nouveau Mariinsky (qobuz)
- OperaWatch (OperaNews)
- Depardieu, Valery Gergiev et le nouveau Mariinsky (Le Figaro)
- Le Mariinsky II, c’est pour le 1er Mai (ForumOpera.com)
- Conférence de press avec Valery Gergiev pour l’inauguration du Théatre Mariinsky II […] (Lexnews)
- Mariinsky Orchestra, Netrebko make splash in Barcelona (Voice of Russia)
- The Mariinsky Ballet | The Nutcracker DVD (Ballet News)
- Mariinsky wins high acclaim in Madrid (Voice of Russia)
- Kampa debuts in Don Quixote ballet in the Mariinsky Theatre (Russia & India Report)
- Tchaikovsky: Symphonies Nos. 1 -3 Review (LSO/Gergiev) (Audiophile Audition)
- Gergiev Named Chief Conductor of Munich Philharmonic (Bloomberg)
- Munich Philharmonic names Russian star as new chief (France 24)
- Valery Gergiev can head the Munich philharmonic orchestra (RU Facts)
- Maestro Valery Gergiev to head Munich Philharmonic (RT.com)
- Coming Soon: New Mariinsky Theater in St. Petersburg (Architizer)
- The real melodrama at the Bolshoi Ballet is offstage (Macleans.ca)
Coverage Highlights December 18, 2012 – January 2, 2013
- Gergiev resumes his Shostakovich symphony project with the Mariinsky Orchestra (examiner.com)
- Valery Gergiev Suggest That Pussy Riot Are Fame Whores (ArtsJournal)
- Recording Review: Shostakovich: Symphony No. 7 “Leningrad” – Mariinsky Orchestra/Valery Gergiev (Audiophile Audition)
- New hotspot for theatre tourists – Mariinsky Opera and Ballet in St. Petersburg (The Voice of Russia)
- Valery Gergiev and James Cameron Teaming Up for 3D Film of Swan Lake (Russkiy Mir Foundation)
- Mariinsky ballet to perform in Baden Baden (The Voice of Russia)
- Tchaikovsky on Mariinsky Stage: Stereo Swans online (The Voice of Russia)
- Concert Preview: Denis Matsuev, Kavakos, LSO, Valery Gergiev, Barbican, London (The Independent)
- Mariinsky II to open in 2013 (WorldArchitectureNews.com)
- Russian dancers chasse into cinemas with ‘Nutcracker 3D’ (The Examiner)
- The Feral Beast: Close call at Russian Embassy (The Independent)
- Valery Gergiev Takes Mariinsky Orchestra to Moscow (Russkiy Mir Foundation)
- Valery Gergiev talks about his new Mariinsky Theatre – and how much it costs (The Telegraph)
- Massenet’s Don Quixote premiers at the Mariinsky (The Voice of Russia)
- New Mariinsky Theatre Opens in 2013 in St. Petersburg, Russia (designlike)
Coverage Highlights November 11 – November 16, 2012
- Valery Gergiev and the London Symphony Orchestra Open the Symphonic Masters Series at Lincoln Center (New York Arts)
- Russian roulette pays off – Gergiev gambles with his countryman’s lesser-known symphonies (Limelight)
- Maestro Gergiev sells Russia’s Olympics to the world (CBC)
- More foreign shows enter China (ChinaDaily.com.cn)
- London Symphony Orchestra (Metroland)
- Seamless Mesh of Musicians Furnish Unified Sound (The New York Times)
- Long-awaited “Russian Seasons” again in Minsk (Belteleradiocompany)
Coverage Highlights November 5 – November 9, 2012
Highlights include a review of the Mariinsky Orchestra’s performances in Chapel Hill, NC (The Five Points Star), continued coverage on the impact of Hurricane Sandy on New York City performances (The Wall Street Journal), an article celebrating Valery Gergiev’s 25th anniversary as artistic director of the Mariinsky Theatre (CBC), coverage on Valery Gergiev being named Honorary Professor of the St Petersburg Rimsky-Korsakov Conservatory (Russiky Mir Foundation).
Coverage Highlights November 1, 2012
Highlights include continued coverage on concert cancellations due to Hurricane Sandy (Los Angeles Times, New York Times) and an article on the Library of Congress gala in Washington D.C. (Roll Call).
Coverage Highlights October 31, 2012
Highlights include coverage of unfortunate concert cancellations due to Hurricane Sandy (The Wall Street Journal, Classicalite, The Star Ledger), the Mariinsky Orchestra’s tour to Chapel Hill, NC (DailyTarheel.com), a radio broadcast of Valery Gergiev conducting the World Orchestra for Peace (Red River Radio), and a performance in Toronto by Valery Gergiev and the Stradivarius Ensemble (National Post).
Coverage Highlights October 30, 2012
Highlights include coverage on 100th anniversary performances of the Rite of Spring by Valery Gergiev and the Mariinsky Orchestra (WQXR, New York Times, Reuters) and a review of Valery Gergiev and the Stradivarius Ensemble’s recent performance in Toronto (The Globe and Mail).
Coverage Highlights October 26 – October 28, 2012
Highlights include reviews of Valery Gergiev conducting the Stradivarius Ensemble in Toronto (TheStar.com and bachtrack), a review of Valery Gergiev and the Mariinsky Orchestra’s performance in Ann Arbor, MI (AnnArbor.com), and coverage of Valery Gergiev and the Mariinsky Orchestra’s upcoming performance in Chapel Hill, NC (New York Times, DailyTarheel.com).
Coverage Highlights October 22 – October 26, 2012
Highlights include a video interview with Valery Gergiev (CharlieRose.com), coverage of Valery Gergiev’s conducting engagements with the World Orchestra for Peace (Chicago Tribune) and the London Symphony Orchestra (New York Times), Mariinsky Orchestra performance in Ann Arbor Michigan (AnnArbor.com and The Michigan Daily), and a video feature on Mariinsky Ballet’s Keenan Kampa (NBCNews.com).
Coverage Highlights September 15 – October 19, 2012
Highlights include articles on the Mariinsky Ballet’s US tour featured in The Huffington Post, The Washington Post, and several other periodicals.
©2016 Mariinsky Foundation of America. All Rights Reserved.